Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Child's Freedom


Last weekend, like most people in this country, I celebrated my freedom. The freedom of speech. The freedom of religion. You know what I am talking about, right?

Have you ever thought about the freedom to be loved, to be cared for, to be rocked to sleep at night?

I have. Everyday. For a few years now. I'm a foster parent. We've had our first and current placement for just over 3 months. A sweet baby girl.

Now, don't get me wrong. I DO believe her parents love her. Unfortunately, they are in a tough place right now. And, well, that's all I can say about that.

However, I can tell you there are thousands upon thousands more just like her in Missouri alone that deserve the freedom's every child should have. And I'm just talking foster care.

Missouri has over 2,000 children waiting to be adopted. They are looking for the freedom of a forever family.

This goes far beyond Missouri. Right now I have friends in Ethiopia. They left the US on Independence Day to go meet their daughter for the first time. She is beautiful. She should be able to join them here in the states in August. She will have the freedom a child deserves.

These children, all of them, from my house to Ethiopia and beyond, did not ask for the situations they found themselves in. They are innocent. They only ask for the freedom to be a child.

Not every family is meant to be a foster family or an adoptive family. But, I encourage you to find a way to help.

If you are willing, message me and I will point you in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment